Serving your real estate needs in the Harrison Michigan and surrounding areas.

About Us

Our History
In 1953, Thomas Hecker Sr. bought a small real estate office from Ben Carpenter. The little upright log building was located next to what is now Hardy’s Insurance and was named Tom Hecker Real Estate. By 1959, business was booming and Tom Sr built a new office at the corner of First and Fairlane right next to the fairgrounds and across from the state park. Sadly, Tom Hecker Sr died suddenly in the fall of 1959 at the young age of 52. His wife Bernadine and son Tom Hecker got their licenses and jumped in to keep the business going. In the interim, Bob Burns Sr stepped in as Broker to help the family out until Bernadine received her Broker’s license a couple of years later.

Bernadine (Hughes) Hecker was daughter of Elmer Hughes who with his twin brother Ellis Hughes and Fred Weatherhead were some of the first developers in Harrison as noted by the Hughes -Weatherhead Subdivisons in the City. Carrying on the family tradition of developing the land in and around Harrison, were Bernadine, her new husband, Leo Bischoff and Tom Hecker. You may recognize some of these areas that were created by the owners of Harrison Realty: Hiram Hills at Arnold Lake, Paradise Bend 1 & 2, Land O’ Lakes, Little Long Lake 1-7, Whispering Pines and Birch Hills Sportsman’s Club 1,2, & 3.

The company name was changed to HARRISON REALTY in 1970 and incorporated in 1986 as it remains today, and is still family owned and operated. Tom Hecker took over the business as Leo and Bernadine gradually spent more time in Florida and retired. The original building was added on to and expanded in 1980. In 1981, sister Janet (Hecker) Dunkle got her license and came in full time as Associate Broker in 1994. Tom’s wife, Barbara Hecker also was licensed in the early 80's and finally left the Mortgage business in 1997 to work full time as Associate Broker. Tom & Barb’s son, Mark McCrary (1998) and his wife Andrea and in 2003 daughter, Kari (Hecker)Garber and her husband Carey have all joined the force as sales associates.

2nd and 3rd generation family members continue on as associate brokers which include Janet Dunkle, Barb Hecker, Mark McCrary and Kari Garber. In Feburary of 2008 Harrison Realty, Inc opened a new, full-service real estate office at 229 N Lake George Ave, Lake George, to better serve the needs of area residents and those wanting to purchase in the Lake George, Farwell and Lake areas.



Barb

Janet

Kari

Andrea

Carey

Mark